As Central Oregon continues to do its part to social distance, wear a mask and keep our hands washed for the greater health of our community, continuing the personal connection between our Bigs and Littles is more important than ever to ensure every child’s potential remains defended.
As the pandemic spread across our community, it became evident that the youth and families served by Big Brothers Big Sisters were some of the hardest hit by this pandemic. Thirty percent of our Littles had parents/caregivers that have lost jobs, 40% are struggling with food insecurity and 25% of our youth did not have access to sufficient technology to finish out the school year at home. Not only were families in crisis but they had lost access to almost every social support designed to help them.
Because of your support, BBBSCO staff and mentors were able to spring into action!
- Delivering food to 170 Littles and their families in Deschutes, Jefferson and Crook County
- Assisting families with unemployment applications
- Providing 20 laptops for youth who were attempting to finish school on a parent’s cell phone (A huge thank you to G5 for their generous donation of laptops!)
- Advocating for our Littles to receive internet access at home to finish school
- Partnering with Avion Water to ensure youth have access to enriching activities through the purchase and delivery of 100 Lego sets! (Thank you Avion Water for generous donation!)
- Delivering 70 face masks to Littles and their families, donated by Blackstrap Industries
None of this is possible without the support of people like you. Please make a donation to the BBBSCO COVID Relief Fund today so that we can continue to provide the vital resources youth need in order to make it through this crisis!
Lay It Out Events is proud to support a local nonprofit at every one of our events, festivals and races and committed to giving back to the community, Lay It Out Events donates a portion of each event’s proceeds to charity. Through our beneficiaries, we raise awareness and much-needed funds for vital nonprofit groups across the Northwest. As a result, we have donated over $205,000 to local charities over the past 8 years.